Saturday, 25 February 2012

#18 A classic with a twist


To keep in line with fashion, that seem to be in every news these days (all those fashion weeks), I wanted to create an alternative to a classic I love: the houndstooth. My first encounter with this pattern was my school uniform: a pleated skirt with a very small black and white hounstooth pattern, simple yet classic, of course I didn't like it at that moment, who can blame me, we were so young!
Also called houndstooth check or hound's tooth (Pata de gallo in Spanish), this duotone textile pattern is characterized by broken checks or abstract four-pointed shapes (often in black and white). They originated in woven wool cloth of the Scottish Lowlands, but are now used in many other materials. 
In my effort to try different techniques (who wants to playing it safe all the time?), I painted two checks with watercolours, scanned them and repeated them. The result is an imperfect but quite interesting pattern that I reckon it could look pretty good in a fabric and even a wall or wrapping paper. Do you concur? Opy x

No comments:

Post a Comment